Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Let's leave it at that.


Here is an analysis that my 302 class had to write about our poems for the creative writing section.
Participles
Absolutes 
Appositives
Adjectives

    While writing this poem I was heavily inspired by all the political activity that is going on in our society. My poem, Grand Old Party Plays World Of Warcraft, is based on what would happen if Mitt Romney were to become president. I chose to do a lot of rhyming within this poem because I like being able to feel like a kid again and rhyming definitely takes me back to the old nursery days. Speaking of rhyme schemes, I used more alliteration, rhyming with consonants, than assonance which is rhyming with vowels.
    If you couldn’t tell this poem comes off as a narrative through the point of view of Mitt Romney, as I have previously stated above and in the title of the poem. In the 3rd and 4th lines of the poem I used repetition of a word by using the oval office and Microsoft office, this brings the audience’s attention from  large scale down to a smaller one, downsizing Romney if you will. My poem also uses different forms of punctuation to let the reader know when an acceptable time to pause may be.
    My favorite part, both fun and creative, is the formatting stage because I made it not only enjoyable for the readers, but also styled it so the words match what they are doing. For instance, for the word ‘grow’ I increased the text size per letter to give the appearance of growth. I also enjoyed the placement of “I click it here, I click it there” because the intention behind this was to imagine a mouse going from one side of the screen to the other. I also put some of the sentences in all caps to give the emphasis that the narrator is excited or yelling.
    So basically the point for writing this poem is not me choosing a political side, it is more about poking fun at Romney through the use of poetry. I feel this gives a new angle on things and maybe politicians are just sitting around playing role playing games in there free time, or maybe I just have a large imagination.


Here is the poem I wrote my paper on. Hope you all enjoy!!!


Grand Old Party Plays World of Warcraft (G.O.P.-P-W.O.W.)
Narrated by Mitt Romney


My nation needs a guy like me.
Someone who knows how to play the Wii.
After a long hard day at the oval office,
I like to loosen up my tie and start up Microsoft Office.
I click it here
                                                                                                            I click it there                                    
HEY!!! I DIDN’T KNOW I HAVE SPIDERMAN UNDERWEAR!
As the game starts to load,
My excitement begins to GROW.
That ogre is slain by my mighty sword.
Forget president, I have the power of the Lord.
On here I don’t have to sign pesky bills.
I get to venture on quests to find golden seals.
My high elf is now lvl 73
Wait…what’s that? What do you mean I have a press-conference at 2:30?!





No comments:

Post a Comment