Sunday, September 9, 2012

Learning is Power

Maybe it is just me and I’m a big complainer but this question for this week’s blog all seems a bit…premature. But I guess I will take a whack at it as the English would say. During the first week of classes we went over the syllabus and discussed what we would be learning over the course of the semester. Then we required to create a blog page for this class; which I found superbly interesting. The reason that having my own blog is so interesting to me is because I have never owned one in the past.

Moving on to round two (second week) of the learning process. We began learning how to properly place apostrophes with words for singularity, ownership and plurality. I have learned that if it is ownership then the apostrophe goes after the word followed by an ‘s’. I also learned that an apostrophe can be used to abbreviate or combine words, such as it is becomes it’s or do not becomes don’t. We also worked in groups to find punctuation uses within print articles to help us know how to find different forms of punctuation.

Last week we read an article by Pat Cordeiro, WHOSE story discussed how students learned to write through trial and error. ITS author I felt didn’t know what she was talking about because she made elementary students less knowledgeable than what they really are. It may be my biased opinion but when I grew up my mom ran a daycare and as a chore I would help them with THEIR homework and they all seemed intelligent for their age compared to how Cordeiro described them as.

Cherrio

1 comment:

  1. Can't tell if you got the point of the style sheet activity... which was that different publications have stablized certain areas of punctuation that are highly variable, so their copy editors will be consistent.
    I don't see the "As a teacher..." pattern. Do give it a try in next week's blog.
    p.s. you may be right about Dora vs. real first-graders--or maybe not. Even high schoolers have trouble with period placement, as we've already seen with the papter "Death," no?

    ReplyDelete